Iten Green Half Marathon is an initiative by Scope Intervention to use sports as a platform to create awareness on environmental conservation, climate change and mobilize resources to enhance the local communities’ capacity in sustainable forest management and lead reforestation in Mau and Cherang’any water towers. It will be the first of its kind to be held in Elgeyo Marakwet- the Home of Champions where most celebrated athletesin Kenya come from.
Iten Green Half Marathon 2016
The 2016 Iten Green half Marathon is themed Run for Kaptagat Forestand is aimed at raising awareness and mobilizing resources to conserve the forest which is under threat of extinction. The forest has over the years been a large water catchment and a source of water bodies in Elgeyo Marakwet and UasinGishu counties. It is part of Mau Forest Complex; the largest closed canopy forest ecosystem in Kenya. Due to massive harvesting, illegal logging, uncontrolled agriculture and charcoal resources the forest resources has been depleting at an alarming rate exposing the ecosystem and livelihoods of people depending on it. This situation luckily can be remedied with proper education and participation of local communities to ensure the effectiveness of conservation efforts as well as a productive relationship between the government, local community and other stakeholders. Scope intervention is planning to improve the understanding between the local communities and enhance their capacity in sustainable forest management while targeting to plant over 1 Million trees in the next 3 years in the forest.
- Mobilize resources to enable Scope Intervention enhance local community’s capacity in sustainable forest management
- Promote collective responsibility in environmental conservation
- Use sports as a platform to improve awareness of local community in environmental conservation
- Athletes from the region
- Local community members
- Elgeyo Marakwet and UasinGishu county governments
- Corporates across Kenya
- Other organizations/ institutions
- Recognition as a responsible corporate supporting projects bringing positive change to the society
- Its log, name and products feature in our adverts-we are planning on running campaigns in the media(mainstream and social), highlights on our website(www.scopeintervention.org) and our social media platforms(www.facebook.com/scopeintervention and www.twitter.com/scopei-org).
- Its logo to feature in all event t-shirts and caps
- VIP treatment during the event
- A chance to address the participants during the event
- First consideration in our future events as sponsors
- Consideration in our future business transactions such as in procurement